“You will never have another today.” We’ve all heard that quote before. Despite being a good reminder, I find that it stresses me out. Is living like there is no tomorrow realistic for the long haul?
The more I go through life, the more I see that trying to get everything done at the pressure and pace my mind sets is unachievable. Life is a constant balancing act between the to-do list and our goals. I find myself having so much to do that I burn myself out, and then nothing gets done until I find that motivation again. Honestly, I’m in a rut, so I’m sharing this list of 5 ways to feel like you’ve conquered the day to help you – and me – remember what is most important in everyday life.
- Get up early. It’s so hard. I know. I’m using pure grit to get up for my morning runs. However, I know that when I do get up early I feel so much better. Having a relaxing morning with little commotion sets the vibe for my day.
- Connect spiritually. Meditation, yoga, prayer, scripture study, motivational talks; whatever it is that you do to connect spiritually first thing in the morning will change your life. If you’ve felt outside of yourself and a little lost this is the perfect way to become centered again. The connection to self/universe/God (whatever you believe) is vital for our well-being.
- Take 5 minutes to think. I mentioned meditation and yoga above, but journal writing, planning, or taking 5 minutes to think about the positive ways you would like to approach the day ahead is a major way to ground your feelings and help you conquer the day with confidence rather than a mad scramble.
- Get moving. I find that exercising in the morning helps me the most. If I don’t do it first thing I am more likely to not exercise. Find the thing that feels right and stick with it. I tend to change things up every 3 months or so to keep myself motivated and excited to exercise.
- Get ready for the day. Always get ready for the day. Do your hair, put on a little makeup, get out of your pajamas, and brush those teeth. You will feel like a whole new person!
What do you do to make yourself feel like you’ve conquered the day?